CHED grants autonomous status to SMCL
Saint Michael's College of Laguna (SMCL) is now an autonomous college.
The Commission on Higher Education, through memorandum order no. 20, series of 2016, announced the list of autonomous and deregulated universities and colleges in the country.
|Dr. Lourdes Almeda-Sese (SMCL President) and Dr. Patricia Licuanan (CHED Chairperson)|
SMCL is one of the seven universities in Region IV-A Calabarzon and 53 higher education institutions (HEIs) in the Philippines which were granted autonomy for three years starting April 1, 2016 until May 31, 2019.
Other HEIs which were declared autonomous were Ateneo de Manila University, De La Salle University, and University of Santo Tomas, In Calabarzon, SMCL joins the ranks of Adventist University of the Philippines, De La Salle University-Dasmariñas, Lyceum of the Philippines University (Batangas), Manuel S. Enverga University Foundation, University of Perpetual Help System Laguna, and University of Batangas.
According to CMO No. 46, s. 2012, autonomous HEIs (by evaluation) "demonstrate exceptional institutional quality and enhancement through internal quality assurance systems, and demonstrate excellent program outcomes through a high proportion of accredited programs, the presence of Centers of Excellence and/or Development and/or international certification. In particular, they show evidence of outstanding performance consistent with their horizontal type, e.g. research and publications for universities; creative work and relevant extension programs for colleges; and employability or linkages for professional institutes."
Benefits of the status, based on CMO No. 19, s. 2016 include:
- exemption from Special Order (S.O.) for graduates
- freedom from regular monitoring and evaluation by CHED
- priority in the grant of subsidies and other financial incentives/assistance from CHED
- privilege to determine and prescribe curricular programs to achieve global competence
- privilege to offer new courses/programs in the graduate and undergraduate levels
- privilege to establish satellite campuses without securing government authority from CHED
- privilege to link with foreign educational institutions
- privilege to offer educational programs using alternative modes of delivery
- authority to grant Honoris Causa to deserving individuals